Monday, April 21, 2014

Soft N Comfy Blankie Tutorial




Here is a quick and easy project that is sure to be a favorite with the little ones. Featuring Soft N Comfy fabric from JoAnn Fabrics which is sold off the bolt at 64" wide. One yard of Soft N Comfy can be cut into two pieces to make two blankies with this tutorial. If you decide to make one, be sure to use a coupon and save even more:)



For this project you will need:

30" x 36" Soft N Comfy fabric from JoAnn's
1 yard flannel - prewashed and ironed
1/3 yard cotton quilting fabric cut into (4) 2 1/2" strips
walking foot (suggested)
painter's tape
curved safety pins

Finished size: 30" x 36"


Step 1: Tape flannel right side down to a hard surface such as a table top or floor. Be careful to secure fabric, but not to distort it in any direction.



Step 2: Place Soft N Comfy fabric right side up in the center of flannel. Secure with tape.

Step 3: Pin two layers together using curved safety pins. Place pins a hand's width apart and also pin along outside edge of Soft N Comfy fabric.



Step 4: Beginning at one edge of quilt, center walking foot between "bumps" and stitch a straight line to opposite edge of quilt. Take time to evenly feed the fabric as it passes under the needle.




Step 5: Stitch lines every four "bumps" till top is quilted.




Step 6: When sewing is completed, square up edges of quilt by trimming away excess fabric.


Binding

Step 7: Press binding strips and trim off selvedge edges.



Step 8: Place 3 binding strips right side down and press top edge at a 45 degree angle to form a crease.




Step 9: Place two strips right sides together like a plus sign and sew diagonally across the ironed crease, backstitching at both ends. Trim to a 1/4" seam allowance and press seams open.

Step 10: Fold binding strip in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. Press. You may want to use spray starch for this step. Binding is now ready to be attached to the quilt. 




Step 11: Pin raw edges of binding to raw edge of back of quilt. Begin pinning the first side with 8 inch tail left unattached.




Step 12: At end of the first side, place a pin 1/4" away from edge. 




Step 13: Begin sewing a 1/4" seam leaving the first 8 inches of binding unattached. At end of side, pivot 1/4" from edge of fabric and sew to corner at angle. 




Step 14: Fold binding, matching raw edges and pin down side two. Begin sewing at edge of top corner. At end of side, pivot 1/4" from edge of fabric and sew to corner at angle. Repeat process for remaining sides, stopping 8 inches from original starting point.




Step 15:  Place beginning of binding (left side) in center of unsewn space and cut. Overlap right side of binding. Since we are using a 2 1/2" width of binding, we will measure a 2 1/2" overlap. Cut right side of binding.



Step 16: Place an "x" on the bottom edge of the left binding.



Step 17: Place left binding on top of right binding right sides together  to form a plus sign. The "x" should now be in the bottom left hand corner. Draw a line across the binding to identify the sewing line. Pin, and stitch on top of line joining two binding pieces together.




Step 18: Trim to a 1/4" seam allowance and press open. Press and finish attaching binding to quilt top.





Step 19: Fold binding to front of quilt and secure with pins or clips being careful to evenly distribute fabric on both sides of quilt. At corners, form a crease.




Step 20: An extra pin placed in corners will help hold binding in place.



Step 21: Carefully topstitch around perimeter of quilt with a narrow seam allowance. The photo above shows both front and back of quilt edges. As you can see, my stitching isn't totally perfect but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.




Sharing with:


May you always Sew in Peace!

27 comments:

  1. I'd love sleeping under one of those! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet and cozy! I agree, great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very good tutorial and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great binging tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never worked with Minky nor Minky like fabrics. I know me I won't want to give it up and as for Rusty (pomeranian) he likes his comfort and he would claim it for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pinning this for when I need to make a fast fun baby blanket! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet! Thanks for the tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously need to break down and make a bunch of these. I can't keep up with all the babies born in my life and church. This seems to easy and lovely. I appreciate the tutorial. I will be a new follower. Love making sewing friends online. :) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How pretty and the knubbly side is great for a baby's tactile experience. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm expecting a great great nephew? This is perfect for him

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for making this simple to follow! I'm making my first grandbaby one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this tutorial! Am making one of these for my first grandbaby and am thrilled with how nice it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My fabric just arrived in the mail from Joann's, and I'm getting ready to make one for my daughter. She finds out tomorrow if it's a boy or girl, but I chose green for either since I'm going to visit her for Easter weekend and will be taking it with me. This seems like it's a quickly finished project...just for an occasion like this! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this idea..u made this look simple :-) I have pondered over how to attach minky as a quilt back without ruining the dimples. This is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love this idea..u made this look simple :-) I have pondered over how to attach minky as a quilt back without ruining the dimples. This is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing. I was always fearful of sewing with minky previously but will have a go now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you use different colored threads in front and back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used white thread on the printed side and teal on the minky fabric.

      Delete
    2. Can you sew with two different colored threads on a regular stitch sewing machine?

      Delete
  18. Loved your tutorial so much that I just whipped up a blanket for my newest great niece in an afternoon. Had tried sewing Minky before but it seemed unmanageable. Pinning it and then quilting it worked like a charm. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great tip in finishing the binding! Wish I had come across your tutorial YEARS ago.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I use spray adhesive instead of pinning the fabric together, it holds the fabric in place great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! Just curious why you didn't cut both pieces of fabric the same size.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made one! This is the first time I ever finished the binding by machine! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for this tutorial. I got the points that I was missing while sewing the Minky blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What about using the temp adhesive spray to hold it together?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! I appreciate hearing from you!