Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Feminine Cloth Pad Tutorial


Each February, our church participates in a short-term mission trip to Haiti with Mission Possible. The purpose of this outreach is to share the love of God and help the poor through education. One area of the outreach includes educating girls about their menstrual cycles and proper body care. Girls are provided Feminine Hygiene kits that contain supplies to use during their monthly cycle. This simple kit will not only improve her health, but will also enable her to remain in school 45 more days per year where she can continue to learn. Education is the key to providing hope.


Along with basic hygiene information, each kit contains 2 bars of soap, 3 pair of underwear, 100 ibubrofen tablets, 5 safety pins, and 10 cloth sanitary pads.

How you can help
Last year 5,000 sanitary pads were donated for this project, and the hope is to expand the outreach to more girls in the future. In addition to prayer and financial support, Mission Possible is looking for volunteers to sew reusable pads for the feminine hygiene kits.  Would you personally consider donating your time to create 10 pads? Perhaps you know of a 4-H club, a quilting group, a retirement community, or a church sewing ministry that is looking for a service project. Your generous gift of time will make a significant difference in the life of a young girl in Haiti.

The following tutorial was written to assist those who want to join our efforts.


Feminine Cloth Pad Tutorial



Materials List
                         
1 yard lightweight flannel fabric (will make approx. 10-12 pads)
1/2 yard low loft cotton quilt batting (ex: "Warm & Natural")
Size 14 (Denim) needle

Each pad consists of 2 outer layers of flannel and 4 pieces of lining made from cotton quilt batting.
Pattern Measures  8" from side to side (edge of tabs) and 9 1/4" from top to bottom

Download Pattern
Download Directions

(Click on photo to view pattern)
                        

Step 1: Select some pretty flannel fabric...because we all like pretty don't we? Iron the fabric. This will help fabric lay flat making it easier to trace around the template. (Tip: Templates can be made from card stock, cereal boxes, file folders or whatever lightweight cardboard you have on hand.)




Step 2: For each feminine pad you will need two layers of flannel fabric. 
To simplify cutting, fold fabric in half matching selvedge edges. Trace Flannel Pattern piece onto fabric using a pen or Sharpie. (Tip: On some printed fabrics, it may be easier to trace the pattern on the wrong side of the fabric. Careful placement of the pattern will maximize use of the fabric.)



Step 3: Using a sharp scissors, carefully cut fabric following the lines. Set pieces aside.


Step 4: Lay out cotton batting, folding in half if possible to simplify cutting. Using a pen or Sharpie, trace Lining Pattern onto batting. Cut 4 pieces for each feminine pad.


Step 5: Iron flannel fabric pieces and lay right side down. On the wrong side of fabric, carefully center two layers of cotton batting on each flannel piece and pin in place.




Step 6: Straight stitch around edge of cotton batting using a size 14 (Denim) needle. Repeat straight stitching on second flannel piece. (Tip: The size 14 needle will make it easier to sew through the layers. 


Step 7: Pin together the two flannel layers with right sides out, carefully matching edges.


Step 8:  Use a serger or small zigzag stitch to sew around outer edge. Trim so edges are uniform. 

Step 9:  For increased comfort, sew two additional lines down the center of the pad.




Step 10: Place a snap or Velcro fastener on each tab. You are finished! How pretty!

If you would like to join our efforts in sewing sanitary pads, please leave a response and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

May you always Sew in Peace!

23 comments:

  1. Yes, I can make these...please let me know where to send them when they are finished. Kathy at lloydie@triotel.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to print the pattern off of flicker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a similar problem. I had to download it to my pc then print it from there.

      Delete
  3. If you would like to join our efforts to sew for Haiti, please let me know. I'll be happy to email the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra, I am interested in making pads for the Haiti Ladies. I downloaded the pattern. Please send me more information at: dxwings51@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra,

    I make and sell pads but I don't use this exact pattern. I've been looking for a place to donate my seconds. That is to say pads that are new/unsed but have crooked stitches. I would love to help. Please let me know where I can donate new/used pads.
    Thanks!

    You can see samples of my work here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KathysWoods?ref=si_shop

    I am KathyLWoods@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your generous offer to donate pads for our Haiti Project. We would gladly accept any pads you would like to send. The difference in the shape of your pattern is not an issue.

      Please contact me for the mailing address:)

      Delete
  6. Do this pads work for heavy flow and if not what other options for cloth can you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no personal experience on the heavy flow question. Perhaps viewers could respond.

      From my understanding most homemade pads are made from various cotton fabrics for both comfort and washability.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking that new, heavy terry towels or terry cloth yardage (not velour) would make for some great absorbency, and it would last longer than cotton batting..... time for a test!

      (Tara)

      Delete
  7. I would be interested in donating pads for these kits. Wow! What we take for granted. cfish67063@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please send me more information.
    pryzgodagirl@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the pattern above the exact size we are to use or should we increase the length, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been several questions regarding the size of the feminine cloth pads. From side to side, (where the snaps go) the measurement of the pattern is 8" across. From top to bottom, the measurement of the pattern is 9 1/4".

      Several viewers have had trouble downloading the pattern to their computer. It seems the best approach is to download the pattern to your computer before printing.

      Please let me know if you have further questions regarding the pattern:)

      Delete
  10. I would also like to know how this handles a heavy flow. Also, what a great idea... I often wondered what the options were for ladies in other countries. Thank you for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello. Are y'all still taking donations for this project? I would love to make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, auto correct.
      pencec@uah.edu

      Delete
  12. Hi I would also like to know where to send these for donation. jackidati24@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea. Thanks for the tutorial. I am going to propose the project to my guild.

    Thank you for your comment on my shirt quilt. Yes, they are string blocks. (I had to reply here as you have your comment set as no-reply)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just came upon this page. I know Feb. has passed but I would love to donate for next time. Please send me info to dcakes10@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been teaching my 4yo how to sew and we have been making cloth pads and she is wanting to donate them. They do not look professional at all but they were made with love and we are still in the process of making more. We should have about 20 when we are done. :) would they work for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. forgot to leave my e-mail sorry :) brandymom9132008@gmail.com

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! I appreciate hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...