Thursday, January 14, 2010

Patriotic Wall Quilt


This is one of the first machine quiting projects that I made on my Bernina. My good friend and I had been to the National Quilt Convention and one of the things that intrigued me was a demonstration on the square-in-a-square technique by Jodi Barrows. I ended up buying her book and a few of her rulers and decided to begin my adventure with the project entitled "Constellation". The final project measures 25" x 25".


I'm really not sure why I chose the red, white, and blue theme, but after it was finished I decided it needed to be displayed in a patriotic grouping. While I was trying to determine what to do, I ran across a few old photographs.


This is my grandfather. He was drafted into the army during World War I. He was a man of honor and always had a kind word to say about others.


This is his son, my uncle, who volunteered at age 16 to serve in the Navy during World War II.
He needed to get his parents permission to enter the Navy because he was under age. He was a very pleasant man, and always enjoyed a good laugh. One time he offered to get me a soda at a family gathering and ended up putting a rubber fly in my glass.


This is my father-in-law who was drafted into the army during World War II. He was stationed over seas for several years before he was able to get back to the states. I believe that is the time frame when this photograph was taken. He never really talks about his time in the military. Doesn't he look sad?


This is my father, who was drafted into the army during the Korean War. I believe he was 18 or 19 in this photo. He was very bright young man and has always had a positive outlook on life. He has blessed my life greatly!

So...armed with my photos....


...I decided to make a  display on my laundry room wall. This small quilt adds a nice touch of warmth to the room, guarded by my own family patriots.


Here are a few photos of the other displays in the laundry room.


Hope you enjoyed the little tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! I appreciate hearing from you!