Saturday, June 12, 2010

My First Quilt of Valor

Ever since I heard about Quilts of Valor several years ago
I've wanted to make a quilt for a soldier. According to their
website, "the mission of Quilts of Valor is to cover all those
servicemembers and veterans touched by war with quilts".
This non-profit organization has currently donated over
28,000 quilts.


A few years ago I was part of a block-of-the-month program
at our local quilt shop. They chose the fabrics and patterns
and each month the customer assembled the blocks.
The blocks I made have been neatly tucked away in
a drawer all these years.  I think this is the perfect
opportunity  to use them.

Since all of my blocks were not in the block library,
I started by recreating each block in my EQ6 software.
This was my first attempt at drawing individual blocks
and thankfully it was pretty easy to figure out.


I started with this layout, but...


...yikes! This looks too busy.
So I continued to play with the layout.
 Basically I have four of each block,
so I was looking for a balanced arrangement.
Perhaps an on-point arrangement?


We're getting closer...


...ah this feels right! The colors and patterns 
seem balanced. Looks like this one will work.


I'm not sure about you, but for me each project
 is a "process". It doesn't pay to skip the time to
completely think  through the design
before you begin. Can you relate?


5 comments:

  1. Love the 3rd. layout .... it is easier on the eyes and for someone who has been through so much, this will be comfort to him/her. When I play around with EQ, things get changed around a lot until the design is pleasing to my eyes. It was interesting to see your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your last layout design--it catches your eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the last layout and I know whoever gets the quilt will very much appreciate all you love and hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are the block names in your quilt? I just love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! The block names in this quilt are Windmill, Card Tricks, Friendship Star, Buckeye Beauty, and Road to California.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! I appreciate hearing from you!