Saturday, November 20, 2010

How to make a Cabbage Patch Doll Coat

For this month's Friday Night Sew In,
 I decided to make a winter outfit
for my granddaughter's cabbage patch doll.

This simple pink sweater and hat were purchased
at the local thrift store for a total of  $2.50.
Each was infant sized clothing before alteration.
If you are interested in how to make clothing for dolls,
hopefully this post will give you some ideas.

Using a purchased pattern
(or existing piece of clothing) as a guide,
cut along side edge of garment
leaving shoulder seam intact.
Place garment back on doll to guage size.
At this point the fit looks pretty good in the shoulders
and down the front, but the length is too long.

Cut bottom of garment to desired length
 only along front edge
being careful to keep cutting line straight.

Remove garment from doll and trim edges even.
Hem bottom edge by using an overcast stitch or serger.
 To shorten sleeves,
cut off bottom portion to utilize existing hemline.
 Sew sleeves back into sweater.
Here is the completed sweater/coat.

To make the hat fit properly...

...all that was done was to turn the hat inside out,
and stitch across the original seamline to make it smaller.

I'm thinking this outfit will make one five-year-old
little girl pretty happy:)

May you always Sew in Peace!
Sandra

7 comments:

  1. Sandra...I have a 5 year old granddaughter, too! {grin} I think you did a fantastic job with that outfit for the cabbage patch doll (I didn't know they were still out there!). I need to make some clothes for the doll Kaylynn has here. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so darned cute! Great job and thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the doll was smiling too. Must be the ears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great instructions! What a nice little gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra, What a great idea! I had never thought to troll the re-sale shops for potential doll outfits! Well done. I'll have to try it real soon.

    --Mary Claire

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very cute outfit. Great job!

    I'm tackling a similar project with a pair of underwear that my daughter has outgrown and just doesn't want to give up (don't ask!). I'm hoping to make them into underwear for her American Girl doll. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! I appreciate hearing from you!